Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It’s in the log book

Cruising friends were having a disagreement about when a specific engine failure took place. She settled the argument with, “I know for certain that it was Saturday. It’s in the log book.”

I, myself, am a little reluctant to use this phrase for two reasons. One is that I have a tendency to fall behind in my log entries, and then I have to rely on my memory, which isn’t exactly sterling. Two is that even if I am current with the log entries, the information is not always absolutely accurate. Example: for a whole week in January, all the log entries were dated JUNE.

I am told that CanKata’s log book is, by marine law, a legal document. Egad. This hasn’t stopped me from fudging some information. For instance, the other night Darrel won three games of Box Crib in a row, soundly. I did not record that in the log book. In fact, since I am the recorder, I could have written that I had actually won. I am the better card player. It’s in the log book.

No comments: